Italics for thoughts

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

其他

积分
发表于 2023-12-18 12:37:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Thoughts can be expressed either with quotation marks or with italics. The choice is essentially editorial. I prefer italics. In this way, a double dialogue is created in the story: on the one hand what is said, inserted between the corporals, on the other what is thought, visible only to the reader. The italics are understood here as a secret pact between author and reader: you can know the characters' thoughts, but they are inhibited. It has a telepathic function, we could say, exaggerating, but perhaps not too much. Italics for titles of works, names of ships, cinemas and theatres It is customary to use italics to express the proper names of books, newspapers, films, plays, songs, magazines, ships, submarines, aircraft, paintings, statues, zoological and botanical species, cinemas and theatres.

Examples of italics for titles of works, names of ships, Phone Number Data cinemas and theaters I read Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. Yesterday I bought a copy of the New York Times. Have you seen Brave at the cinema? No, I preferred La traviata to the theater. They played With or without you by U2 on the radio. I subscribe to National Geographic. The Titanic was thought to be unsinkable. The submarine U-12 was active in 1914. The Junkers Ju 87 was an inverted gull-wing bomber. TheLast Supper is one of Leonardo Da Vinci's masterpieces. Michelangelo's Pietà is found today in St. Peter's. The great auk, or Pinguinus impennis, probably became extinct in 1852.

Hops are used to give beer its bitter flavour, Humulus lupulus. In Rome, the cinema Metropolitan, which showed films in the original language, was closed. Totò made his debut at the Teatro Jovinelli. Italics to distance scenes and characters The use of italics to create a sort of detachment between multiple scenes or between parts of a story makes the reader enter a particular atmosphere. The sensation is that of being in another environment and the reader understands that somehow the author wanted to separate that part from the rest. I found this use of italics in Cormac McCarthy, although not in all of his works, and I liked it. The scenes were suspended in the narrative, one had the impression of reading two stories at the same time.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|五常同城 ( 黑ICP备19004948号-4 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-19 06:27 , Processed in 0.051268 second(s), 21 queries .